Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Are You Privileged?

I've been using the word, privileged, a lot lately. The word is significant to understanding others and ourselves. While in some ways many of us can be underprivileged, by other definitions we can be extremely privileged. The word involves more than race. Anything involving reception of innate power, inclusion of the in-group, and or effortless abilities because of attractiveness, status, class, height, able-body, religion, gender, and even intelligence, passion, creativity, and faith can give a person an advantage or disadvantage. (Not to say one cannot prevail.)

Here's the part where I feel guilty:

Reps. Tammy Duckworth
Playing Devil's advocate, I argued with Taki Dempsey when he said he saw me as multicultural, in the sense, that I was a minority on all accounts: short, young, Asian female. I was quick to remind him that I was significantly privileged in another way.

Although I rarely ask my parents for money, my parent's class is a huge advantage compared to those who were not as lucky. My mother is a dental hygienist in the even wealthier town next door. By referring me to my future boss, she got me one of my first jobs as a bank teller. When I entered college, I consistently came back as a seasonal in the summer and winter breaks. When I left and moved to New York, it gave me the freedom from 6 years worth of savings to intern on multiple film projects as I finally went head on in my career. Unfortunately, unpaid jobs are necessary unless you know someone and can jump right in. It took me about four months working 12+ hour days, 5-6 days a week, before getting paid gigs. After that and consistent offers, I was able to forsake no pay positions, so that I could start getting recommendations for paid gigs that reflected my talent and skills, rather than "Oh, she'll do it for free" work.  There isn't a whole lot of time for other long-term part-time jobs, so many post grads could go broke taking that risk.

Furthermore, despite the in-frequencies of freelancing forcing me to make my savings my minimal living expenses, I can certainly avoid selling myself on the streets. If all else fails, I can move back home with my mom and she'll take care of me.  When people say I can technically go on food stamps or apply for low living-wage housing or anything that involves helping out the poor, I refuse. That government money does not need to go to me simply because I chose a risky career while I can still rely on my parents. The more people getting funded by the government, the more money the government must budget for the program, which means the money has to be taken from somewhere else like our taxes. And if that budget gets too large, it risks getting cut. I'd rather that money go to families and people who have no help. 

Being privileged means society is structured around the needs and wants of your in-group.  From laws to advertising, from media to story telling, from building construction to opportunities... those who are underprivileged are left out and unconsidered. This is not a guilt trip. It is meant for awareness and understanding. After reading Transformative Justice Law Project of Illinois's Checking Your Privilege 101, I realized I was more privileged than I thought.

Checking Your Privilege:

  • Citizenship
  • Class: A person with financial stability and financial safety nets through family or other assets.
  • Race
  • Education: A person with access to higher education, which is sometimes, but not always, a result of other privileges such as race and class privilege.
  • Gender
  • Gender Identity: A person having a gender presentation that correlates with the dominant group’s expected gender “norms.”
  • Age: Access afforded to people who are considered “adults,” although those who are elderly are acknowledged to having limited privileges due to age and health.
  • Body Size: Those born with a body type that is celebrated and considered “beautiful” by the dominant group as reflected in the media, advertisements, social norms, etc.
  • Able-Bodied:the ability to physically participate in society because society was made to accommodate only the “dominant” group.
    • Side note: I once saw a man in the subway with a sign around his neck asking for money. He lost both his hands from war. I thought, he seems like a rather clean, attractive man.  He shouldn't have too much trouble in society: being accepted, being attracted to, but then I missed the obvious.  He was asking for money. Can you imagine how difficult it is to find a job that does not involve using your hands?
  • Life on the Outside: A person who has never been or currently is not incarcerated.
  • "Passing": The ability to “pass” as a more privileged group. For example: a light-skinned person passing as White, a disabled person passing as able-bodied, etc.
  • Religion: A member of the dominant religion in the United States – Christianity.
  • Sexuality: A person who is heterosexual and/or is not labeled a sexual "deviant."

Here's the part where I feel downtrodden:

To out myself (or call attention to), I consider shortness and daintiness a disadvantage in the average workforce. I was watching an interview with Penn Jillette who said he came from a household where no one raised their voices unless in jest. He found anger screaming and fights "unpleasant." I thought to myself, that's an interesting and calming way to think of things. Perhaps we do yell too much. We argue too often with emotion that the other does not understand what we are saying finding our complaints irrational. (This is why we have sociological terms: to keep us sane.) Then I'm reminded of the times fighting with my father where the rule of the household is that the parents are always always right. I'd find my voice shrieking, wishing to be heard. Penn Jillette doesn't have to do that. He's an intelligent, confident, tall, big guy. When he walks in the room, he won't notice? If he says, "May I say something?" Who will ignore him? When he says "I have the answer," who won't give him a chance?

Do you know how filmmakers show power visually? From the viewpoint of a taller person. 

Being Chinese does not prevent me from getting jobs, if anything I would bet it was a plus. However, it is no secret that Asian people are commonly taken advantage of despite their supposed intelligence and great work ethic. The combo of being a short Asian Woman with great self-doubt has forced me to work harder to be looked at as a leader rather than someone to keep at the bottom of the totem pole.   Many Chinese people are raised in a similar mindset as their parents or grand parents or great grandparents were in China.  The communist society was about working together and though down trodden with a common enemy, the government, each man's role is to take care of his family.  I asked my dad what his dream career was as a kid.  Most kids say actor, doctor, president, lawyer, basketball player, singer...  My dad said matter-a-factually, "An engineer."

"Really, dad?  When you were ten years old, you wanted to be an engineer?"

He laughed, "It is not like how when you grew up!" At ten years old, little Oliver knew his role in society was to have a family, be a father, and give them greater opportunities than those that were available to himself.  Because of this, he chose a logical and stable career as an Engineer.  No, it wasn't glamorous or immediately self-fulfilling, but he sacrificed himself for his kids, future kids even.  He kept his head low to keep his job and with a sigh, accepted a minimal forced promotion that gave him slightly higher pay for much more work and responsibilities.  If his underlings messed up, it was his butt on the line.  He was not interested in climbing the ladder or risking his stability.  It was simply about having enough income to take care of his family.

While the Chinese culture may seem cold and distant, it is all about your role in society.  Don't give me a thanks, because it is my duty.  It should be expected.  Now, when Chinese people come to America where its all about money, competition, and celebrating individualism and self-fame... they're taken advantage of.  Now the assumed responsibilities graciously accepted by Chinese workers are... assumed responsibilities for graciously accepting Chinese workers.


"I'm telling you, those Asian guys love crunching numbers! You probably just made his weekend!"  Notice how the movie fools you into thinking the story is going to be about the two white guys and their crazy weekend.  They even have you empathize with the fake male lead, who just got dumped. They leave the office with punk rock playing ready for their adventure.  Hold up. This movie is called "Harold and Kumar." Wait. Is there an Indian guy in the duo? Yes. Harold... Harold. Isn't he the "work horse...the quiet Asian guy in the office"?  That's who we're watching? This is different.

When a child watches TV, they look for themselves.  They look for someone they want to be.  So what happens when they don't see themselves? They feel lost... confused... An Asian girl finds herself wanting to be the white girl, rather than the nerdy Asian girl... which let's face it, why is she so awkward?   You get white kids wanting to be president and minority children sticking to something more "plausible."  There's a 30 Rock bit when Tracy Jordan decides to coach a little league from the poorest neighborhood in New York.  He introduces them to Jack, GE CEO.  He asks the kids, "What are your dreams?"


 Jack is appalled that their goals do not reach higher. I mean, those were their "dream" jobs. When I was a kid, I had seen a handful of Asian actors in the media, but zero politicians. For some reason, being an Actress seemed far more likely to me.  I couldn't imagine an Asian-American president.

I went to Rockafeller Center and did the silly photo ops in the White House sets.  I wanted to take other people's posted photos and make a collection of various minorities in "office." The representation of minorities in positions of power is low, despite population and expected intelligence.  But now I don't have to!

Here's the part where I celebrate:

On Election night, the country made history on multiple accounts. Of course, we re-elected our first Black President, Barack Obama. We broke the last record of 17 and now there are 20 women in the U.S. Senate! (Check out Washington Post's slideshow of each current female senator and what they've done.)

I predict in 50 years, we will surely have had a woman president.

Never mind my personal beliefs and politics, here are some minorities that also made history last Tuesday.

Senator Mazie Hirono became the first on many accounts.
Hawaii, (D)
First Asian-American woman in the U.S. Senate
First Female Senator of Hawaii
First Senator born in Japan
First Buddhist Senator

Senator Tammy Baldwin 
Wisconsin, (D)
First Openly Lesbian in Senate.
Elizabeth Warren
Massachusetts, (D)
First Female Senator of Massachusetts. 
Senator Angus King
Maine, (I)
Okay, perhaps not historical.  But he defeated the Democratic and Republican candidates and took the state as an Independent.

Congressman Mark Takano 
California, (D)
First LBGT Person of Color in Congress
First Openly Gay Member of California Congress

Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema
Arizona, (D)
First Openly Bisexual member of Congress

Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard
Hawaii, (D)
First Hindu-American to elected in Congress.
Govenor Maggie Hassan (D) 
Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter (D)
Congresswoman Ann McLane Kuster (D)
Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D)
Senator Kelly Ayotte (R)
New Hampshire
First All-Female Delegation State.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @AudreyZao